Beginning the Journey
As the year end draws closer, this is the perfect time to start thinking and planning for next summer. In many instances can be overwhelming and hard to decide what kind of mission journey, where to go, cost, size of the group and the list can go on and on. The best way to get started especially if you have never participated in a Mission Journey is to get as much information as you can, share the information and brainstorm with others.
The United Methodist Volunteers in Mission (UMVIM) have a series called "MOVEMENT", which offers teams and church leaders tools to begin conversations about missions, theology, and effectiveness. The videos have a leaders discussion guide to help with the conversations. Be sure to check them out. "MOVEMENT" Series
This year has been challenging for in person mission journeys but this has also offered some other unique ways to participate. Volunteers in Mission has done a great job of offering these opportunities. Join in on some Virtual Missions, get your feet wet and get a feel of what being on a mission journey is like.
- Motown Mission- You and your group are invited to embark on a virtual service opportunity with Motown Mission (Online) Experience without going to Detroit!! Through Motown Mission, your group will take a deep dive into the city of Detroit including its history and current issues, and hear from project partners about how you can help Detroit from home. Your group will also participate in a virtual service activity, devotions and prayer, and fun games and activities led by Motown Mission staff!
- Sacred Doors - Sacred Doors, is an urban ministry of Bethany United Methodist Church in Denver, Colorado. They invite you to experience a virtual mission journey to learn more about the Denver Metro Area people on the margins.
- Register for the Free Informational Seminar. Thursday September 29 @7:00PM MST
- Register for the Virtual Mission. Tuesday November 10, 2020 - Friday November 13, 2020 Noon MST each day with an additional 1pm-3pm on Friday.
- Kenya 2020 - Maua Methodist Hospital. Each team is asked to work on a designated project on the hospital compound. For more information contact Kathie Mann.
Watch some past Virtual Mission Promos. GYTTE Puebla Mexico and Honduras.
Western PA has done a tremendous job responding to The Nyadire Connection's (TNC) hunger appeal for the Mutoko-Mudzi District in Zimbabwe. Zimbabwe though once known as the bread basket of Africa has experienced an increase in hunger and poverty. The COVID-19 pandemic has worsened this crisis that has been ongoing.
TNC's goal was to raise $45,000 to provide food for 407 families for November 2020 through April 2021, which they have previously done this year. The Social Committee developed a minimum food bundle – including mealie-meal, cooking oil, beans and sugar – that helps to sustain a family of five for one month at a cost of just $18 (or $108 for the six-month period).
As of today I am excited to announce that the goal has already been exceeded, Glory to God!. Read a story showcasing the impact.
UMCOR Sheltering in Love Grants Making an Impact
A Sheltering in Love grant from the United Methodist Committee on Relief’s (UMCOR) COVID-19 Response Fund helped the church distribute more than 900 food hampers to vulnerable households and institutions within the 13 districts of the Zimbabwe Episcopal Area. The beneficiaries included Chengaose Day Care Center Trust in Mbare, which takes care of children living with disabilities. Priscilla Muzerengwa has the story. Watch video
Early Response Team (ERT) Recertification
- Early Response Team Recertfication: October 24, 2020 8:30 AM to 12:30 PM ERT recertification via ZOOM. This is a four hour course that is required for those already who have already been certified as Early Response Team member and need to be re-certified. If you received your ERT training prior to 2017 then you are out of compliance with the 3 year UMCOR standard. Register. More training dates to come.
Conference UMW Annual Meeting:
Soul Care, Self Care, Caring for Others: Registration is now open for the 2020 virtual annual meeting of the Conference UMW. It’s Saturday, Oct. 24 with sessions offered via Zoom. Get details and register
Mission Support Grants
Applications for 2021 Mission Support grants are being accepted through October 31, 2020. The Mission Support Team and the Conference Board of Global Ministries work together to distribute the Mission Share funds that are allocated to promote the ministries that we feel will impact the most lives. This process of determining the allocation of funds includes prayer and the leading of the Holy Spirit. We know that every mission of the church is important, yet the amount of funds that we have to distribute varies from year to year.
To find the Mission Support Guidelines and Forms visit the Mission Support Page.
If you have any questions, please contact Doug Dyson at 814-249-1025.
Within the Jurisdiction
Young Adult Mission Journey
We are happy to announce that we are taking applications for a Young Adult MissionJourney to the Blackfeet Nation in Montana in July 3-12, 2021. The Discover...Missionprogram is a joint effort of the Northeastern and North Central Jurisdiction UMVIM offices. Candidates must be 18-30 years old to apply. Successful applicants will be trained as UMVIM Team Leaders and will interact with other young adults from the Blackfeet United Methodist Parish as they learn about native culture and participate in ministries of peace and justice. Applications are due by December 17th and scholarships may be available. Apply today!
- #stillinmission episode 21: Thursday, October 22 at 8:00PM Learn a little about the missionaries by clicking their names below. Register
- Guillermo Berman is serving as the Mexican Methodist Border Mission Coordinator in Mexico.
- Kennedy Cruz is serving as a Community Development Specialist with the CHAD Program in South Korea.
- A Broncano is serving with the Sunbeam Language & Vocation Center in South East Asia.
- Deborah Dornon is serving as the Coordinator of Expatriate Services as the Tansen Hospital in Nepal.
- Save the date: Be sure to save the date to come and hear the following missionaries that are sponsored by churches within our conference.
- To find the full #StillinMission Series and documents visit the HUB.
- To find recordings of past episodes check out the vimeo library.
Missionaries Return to Western PA
Global Ministries Missionary Lourdes (Lulu) Ramirez and her husband Rich Mroczka a missionary from our conference are currently in Western PA until the end of November. Rich and Lulu both serve in Guatemala in partnership with one of our global partners, Encounter with Christ for Latin America and the Caribbean. The are willing to come to your church, meetings or ministry groups to talk about their ministries. For more information contact Rich at email@example.com. WPAMissions will be hosting a Virtual Mission Event with them soon.
Three P's in Mission. The Players, Payers and the Prayers.